Date: May 16, 2009 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [brahmoconferenceorg] Rituals and superstition rule
Dear Mr Biswajit
'Ad homimem' attacks are what trivialise the real issues. I am glad
that we at least agree that superstition, mumbo-jumbo, dogma and
non-reason etc are opposed to Brahmoism. But how many others here (so
called Brahmos), would agree with you or me ?
The current articles of faith for "True Brahmos" being very well
defined, you may clarify if you reject / disagree with any of them, as
only then can our debate proceed:-
(source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmo_religion )
* Brahmos embrace righteousness as the only way of life.
* Brahmos embrace truth, knowledge, reason, free will and virtuous
intuition (observation) as guides.
* Brahmos embrace secular principles but oppose sectarianism and
imposition of religious belief into governance (especially propagation
of religious belief by government).
* Brahmos embrace the co-existence of Brahmo principles with
governance, but oppose all governance in conflict with Brahmo
* Brahmos reject narrow theism (especially polytheism), idolatry and symbolism.
* Brahmos reject the need for formal rituals, priests or places
(church, temple, mosque) for worship.
* Brahmos reject dogma and superstition.
* Brahmos reject scripture as authority.
* Brahmos reject revelations, prophets, gurus, messiahs, or avatars as
* Brahmos reject bigotry and irrational distinctions like caste,
creed, colour, race, religion which divide beings.
* Brahmos reject all forms of totalitarianism.
* Brahmos examine the prevalent notion of "sin".
* Brahmos examine the prevalent notions of "heaven" or "hell".
* Brahmos examine the prevalent notion of "salvation".
( Adherence to these articles are required only of Adi Brahmos or such
Sadharan Brahmos who accept Adi-ism ie. Trust deed of Brahmo Sabha
1830 as the source of their faith or Trust deed of Sadharan Brahmo
We may also consider that no matter how much we may disagree with
others and their irrational (to us) beliefs, Brahmoism does not permit
us to disparage them / their beliefs publicly.
Finally, concerning the issues which nobody wishes to rake up, it is
precisely because nobody wishes to discuss them that they must be
exposed publicly in dedicated groups such as this, and knowledgeable
people like you must participate.